[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Conf] Should we consider all the Americas for FOSS4G2017 Conference?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jul 8 10:42:25 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting idea
>
> What do you think the outcome would be? Seems to me that it would make it
> would reduce competition in ‘elsewhere group’. Would it increase S American
> chance of hosting a global FOSS4G?

That is an interesting point and question.  Also probably the real
point of deliberation unless we increase the number of regions in the
rotation.

> My view, it makes sense to keep 1/3 FOSS4G’s in N America and 1/3 in Europe
> with the 3rd in ‘elsewhere group’ - it encourages outreach to new places
> once in 3 years while ensuring that the event is hosted in the back yards of
> the 2 largest communities of contributors and users in the other years.

That largely echos previous discussions,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Reboot_2011  Reviewing the old
debate is certainly interesting.

> ______
> Steven
>

> On 8 Jul 2015, at 13:45, Ian Turton <ijturton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Following a brief twitter discussion - Jeff suggested I raise the idea here.

This probably didn't fit your timing on twitter, but I would have been
far more receptive to ideas over that past several months while I
called for input as opposed to within 36 hours of finalizing and
releasing the RFP.

> Now that we have FOSS4g-NA as a regular conference should we consider
> opening up the "third" location in our conference rotation to be Americas -
> i.e. North and South America instead of lumping South America in with Asia
> and the Pacific (or the anywhere else group)?
>
> I can understand the thinking back in 2010 but I know there are now large
> groups in Brazil and the Spanish language group is active in South America
> too.

Sao Paolo, Brazil sent a LOI in 2014 (another "North America" year)
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2013-May/002118.html
However, there was no South American LOI in 2015 when South America
would have had priority over North America.  Are you involved with the
South American Community Ian?  There are large, long time, active
groups in South America hearing from those groups would be useful.

Any potential LOCs who are interested can certainly send a low-effort
LOI.  You never know who else will send a LOI, yours could be the only
letter.  If there are letters both from the target region and
somewhere else, it is up to the committee if they are willing to
consider it.

Eli