[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct in Real Case

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Jul 9 04:05:06 PDT 2015

Hello Sanghee,

I am saddened that you removed the entire presentation, for I think,
overall, it was a good idea. I apologize for my role in that result.

I encourage in the BOF the idea to potentially review key conference
marketing material with an eye toward the messaging before it goes public,
be discussed. Perhaps OSGeo could create a multi-cultural conference
marketing committee for this purpose?

Finally, one of my goals at FOSS4G EU co-leading the GeoForAll discussions
will be to help to identify what the GeoForAll community does in Seoul
during BOF and other open conference times.

I wish you nothing but the best in your upcoming conference.

Respectfully,

Charlie Schweik

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Sanghee Shin <shshin at gaia3d.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I’d like to report updates on our discussion.
>
> 1. Regarding CoC offline discussion at FOSS4G Seoul, we may have
> discussion at BOF meeting[0]. I believe Jeff already marked the timeslot
> there on 16th September. If you need more timeslots, just add to the BOF
> wiki please. Also if you want have any BOF meeting during FOSS4G Seoul,
> please add your plan to the wiki page.
>
> 2. I removed my controversial(?) presentation from the main page. I think
> it was too outdated and  not so attractive. It’s now time to promote
> through FOSS4G Seoul program itself. You may see new main page there[1].
>
> Your attending and participation is very crucial to the success of FOSS4G
> Seoul. Please register FOSS4G Seoul(
> http://2015.foss4g.org/attending/registration/) and meet up in Seoul
> altogether!!
>
> All the best,
>
> Sanghee
>
> [0]http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2015_BirdsOfAFeather
> [1]http://2015.foss4g.org/
> ---
> Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
> "Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
> http://2015.foss4g.org
> Twitter: @foss4g
> Facebook: FOSS4G2015
> email: foss4gchair at osgeo.org
>

> 2015. 6. 25., 오전 9:34, Sanghee Shin <shshin at gaia3d.com> 작성:
>
> Dear All,
>
> Thank you for all your great opinions, advices and inputs through this
> mailing lists and through to my private mail. I think we’ve discussed
> enough on this.
>
> I agree with Maria and Maxi’s suggestion to have a offline discussion time
> in Seoul. I’ll explore the possibility whether we can have that spaces
> before/during/after FOSS4G Seoul and will report to you.
>
> And I also agree with some advices that because my presentation was highly
> dependent on verbal explanation, it not so effective itself to deliver my
> clear intention. I’ll think about how to handle this.
>
> Thanks again for great and wonderful inputs.
>
> How about having a break for while?
>
> All the best,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
> "Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
> http://2015.foss4g.org
> Twitter: @foss4g
> Facebook: FOSS4G2015
> email: foss4gchair at osgeo.org
>

> 2015. 6. 25., 오전 9:22, Massimiliano Cannata <massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch>
> 작성:
>
> Once again I express my opinion:
> I think that OSGeo shall express and support a CoC that is respecting
> diversity in any form, but we don not have the right to censure anything.
>
> If something really bad happens than someone will take action based on the
> agreed CoC.
> Do we really want to argue about the images and content of anyone
> presentation?

> [...]

Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545