[OSGeo-Discuss] Munich Orientation Convention, Mapcodes, and All the Rest

Jonathan Moules J.Moules at hrwallingford.com
Thu Jul 30 05:38:51 PDT 2015

Hi Steve,

Ø  A little research on the topic of USNG/MGRS and how it works would be of benefit to those who wish to slam a worldwide referencing system created after WWII when a NATO armed forces business review determined the Allies got too many people killed trying to use latitude/longitude when street addresses don’t work.  The answer isn’t hypothetical, it’s written in blood.
I’ve not seen anyone “slam” the MRGS. I did point out myself that it serves a slightly different, albeit somewhat overlapping purpose to those other systems that have been highlighted earlier. It’s clearly great for the military and I have little doubt it’d be similarly useful for first-responders. That said, that doesn’t mean it’s a perfect fit for the civil world where military or even first-responder discipline is in short supply.

Ø  (two less than a phone number, and who can’t remember that?)
Lots-of-people can’t remember them (http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/12/cant-remember-phone-numbers-youre-not-alone/ - or http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/7885227/Most-people-cannot-remember-partners-mobile-phone-number.html)

“An online test to assess the [UK’s] ability to recall sequences of numbers found nine in 10 cannot remember a mobile phone number after an interlude of just five seconds”

I’m not sure how your examples show MGRS as superior. In the first case the problems appear to have been institutional, and in the second it’s a lack of navigation/map-reading skills on the part of both the teacher and the first wave of responders. In neither case would MGRS or any other system been helpful. If you don’t know where you are, you can’t communicate, and if the people you’re communicating with aren’t listening, there’s little benefit to communicating in the first place.

I don’t know what the solution is, but it doesn’t seem like MGRS would be the panacea you put forth, just like I suspect there are problems with the other systems. But I do agree with you and others that it’s an important subject.

Kind regards,
Jonathan