[OSGeo-Discuss] Munich Orientation Convention, Mapcodes, and All the Rest

Steve Swazee sdswazee at sharedgeo.org
Thu Jul 30 07:52:20 PDT 2015

Jonathan,

Good afternoon.  Per your comments below, I’ll try to keep this simple.

As a former military and airline pilot I am acutely aware that there is not
one panacea coordinate system.  Latitude/longitude is appropriate for
worldwide aviation and sea going navigation.  In a past life, I was trained
in UTM for surveying  – and so on.  However, the most fundamental role any
government can have is the protection of its citizens.  On an international
basis, that mission falls to the armed forces.  On a local basis, that
mission falls to the first response community.  Ongoing efforts in the
United States which are driving the legislative and policy efforts to
incorporate use of USNG are coming primarily from the first response
community because 35% of their calls go to a location without a street
address.  It is not only a significant problem, it is a HUGE problem that is
becoming compounded by the rate at which individuals are unplugging their
hard wired land lines in lieu of cells phones only.  Thus, there is a need
for a geolocation STANDARD for first response.  And if you know anything at
all about this community – you would know everything is about standards.  It
does no good to call a fire crew from the next city over if their hose
couplings won’t work on your town’s fire hydrants.

So a question.  If not USNG as the “language of location” for first
response, then what?  The reason adoption is taking off in the US is because
everyone that has honestly considered that question comes back to the same
conclusion  - nothing beats the USNG/MGRS coordinate system in the realm of
first response.  A system which had an original design criteria of an 8th
grader must be able to learn it 15 minutes, has just as much utility in the
first response community as it does in the last response military community.
And by extension, for the first response community to be able to use it
effectively, the public must also know how to use it.  Consequently, there
must be a standard for this purpose and only ONE standard, otherwise you
don’t have a standard.  Thus, the concern about promotion of other
coordinate systems that are inferior on many levels.

Now that I have your attention, I believe you and the rest of the OSGeo
community would be well served by spending some time truly learning about
this issue.  In so doing, I’m sure the open minds among you will come to the
conclusion that USNG/MGRS is the answer to the issue I am addressing.  OSGeo
could do the world a heap of good in doing so.

Cheers,

Steve