[OSGeo-Discuss] Point Cloud ad hoc session at upcoming OGC meeting

Scott Simmons ssimmons at opengeospatial.org
Tue May 12 06:55:21 PDT 2015

Cameron,

We actually started planning this activity and session a couple of months before the Open Letter was formulated and released.  We have a number of members interested in assessing the state and future of standardization across many types of point cloud data.  So I am working to ensure that we frame the conversation based first on the known technical needs of the Point Cloud community, then specific to some member requested items such as the requirements surrounding LiDAR encoding and optimization as addressed in the Open Letter.  Hence the inclusion of discussion around meteorologic data, web services, coverage models, etc.  Personally, I am super-excited about discussions around clever wrappers for compression and streaming algorithms (just because that is part of my personal history!).

While this is a relatively short session, we will walk away with some areas for focus and plans for follow-up web conferences and further face-to-face meetings.

Thanks for participating!

Best Regards,
Scott

Scott Simmons