[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Fri Nov 13 00:23:52 PST 2015

Sandro,

from https://www.locationtech.org/charter in "IP Management" section:

*"... The group will follow the Eclipse Foundation's IP due diligence
process in order to provide clean open source software released under
licenses approved by the group and the Eclipse Foundation Board of
Directors. Approved licenses for this group include EPL, MIT, BSD, and
Apache 2.0. ...."*

So I understand that GPL is not welcome in LocationTech ;-)

Maxi

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 09:29:59PM +0000, Jody Garnett wrote:
>
> > I may as well link to my more recent talk (https://vimeo.com/142989259)
> as
>
> Interesting talk Jody, thank you !
>
> One thing it wasn't clear to me (I might have dreamt it):
> did you say that LocationTech only accept non-copylefted projects
> in the foundation ? I think it came out by the very end
> of the talk, in response to a question from Luca Delucchi (~30:00)
>
> I tried browsing the locationtech.org website but found no mention
> of this limitation.
>
> It's confusing, because you early mentioned that projects can be
> in both foundations while if that's confirmed projects like PostGIS,
> GRASS or QGIS (to name a few) could _not_ be.
>
> It is interesting that they have dedicated IP stuff, would come to
> think the actual goal is to help companies ride the "Open Source" tide
> (still big, and still growing) w/out risk of getting wet...
>
> --strk;

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra