[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

María Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 00:45:23 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 9:41 AM, María Arias de Reyna
<delawen+osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I answer myself, yes, they filter by name. And explicitly forbid GPL licenses:
> https://www.locationtech.org/faq-questions-inline
>
> Which licenses does LocationTech allow?
>
> The following licenses are allowed at LocationTech without special approval:
>
> EPL
> EDL (BSD)
> MIT
> Apache v2
>
> Other licenses might be considered based on approval of the
> LocationTech Steering Committee and Eclipse Foundation board.
>

> The following licenses are not allowed at LocationTech:
>
> AGPL
> GPL (v2 & v3)

For me this is a major outrage, but I understand that OSGeo is focused
on open software, not on free software. (Remember: free includes open,
open doesn't include free).

So I would understand collaborations between LocationTech and OSGeo,
where open is the key and not freedom. And we have found a big
difference between both organizations: we are more open and more free.
Maybe they still believe that they cannot do bussiness over GPL
derived licenses. And as wrong as they are, if their main focus is on
bussiness, it is understandable they are afraid of freedom.