[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

María Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 01:32:33 PST 2015

Hi Sandro,

I agree with you. But I understand that people with less experience on
free software are afraid (at the beginning) of freedom. It is a big
step to take from closed software and not everyone is willing/brave
enough to take it. That's why I say that it is understandable. Not
that they are right to think so.

In any case, to me we finally found the main difference between the
two organizations. We can collaborate on the open field and work alone
on the free field.

To me, having other organizations collaborating is a good thing, as
long as we understand the difference and don't merge too much (which
is another possible step, but not something we decided yet to do). I
think that in Spain we have a good example with Geoinquietos, which
shares a lot with OSGeo (some people way it is the "white" brand of
OSGeo in Spain) but still, it's different. So different that in some
regions we have more in common with OSM than with OSGeo.