[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Andrea Ross andrea.ross at eclipse.org
Fri Nov 13 02:39:22 PST 2015

Dear Maria,

Hopefully the choice of license for a project, or in this case choices for licenses by a group of projects are not cause for outrage. Each project will choose what makes sense to them, and that's a great thing.

This is very common. Apache has chosen the Apache license. Mozilla the MPL. Eclipse was EPL focused for a while, but now allows a bunch of choice and that list keeps growing.

For what it's worth, these choices are rarely made out of ignorance.

It is the viral nature of the GPL & AGPL that keeps projects using those licenses out if LocationTech & Eclipse for now. That may change, or not, in response to the members and projects that govern want in time.

Personally, I understand all license choice perspectives, and respect them. I say this as someone who's been making a living in FOSS for 25 years.

Hope this helps a bit,

Andrea