[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Nov 15 15:44:01 PST 2015

+1
Charlie Schweik

On Sun, Nov 15, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan <
raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Many thanks for the great job you are doing in
> representing OSGeo with selfless dedication
> and for sharing your vision with all of us.
>
> I wish you great fun and safe travel for representing OSGeo at
> the GISConf in Moscow [1] that is coming up this weekend.
>
> Best
>
> Venka
>
> [1] http://gisconf.ru/
>
> On 2015/11/16 4:13, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>
>> Hi Cameron,
>>
>> Thank you for your message.  It is very refreshing to speak on this topic
>> openly here, as others would rather send me strong private messages
>> questioning my sanity, and making threats.  I realize that many cannot be
>> open on this topic for various reasons.
>>
>> Let me assure everyone here that I only have one agenda, which is very
>> rare these days, and that is to help the OSGeo foundation.  I am not
>> muzzled by fear or threats, and I will stand up for the OSGeo foundation
>> whenever that is required.  If by standing up for OSGeo's only event all
>> year, FOSS4G, means that I am called "confrontational" and "obstructive",
>> then yes you are fully right.
>>
>> Some may not know this by reading this thread, but I have always been a
>> big supporter of LocationTech.  I was involved in the beginning of
>> LocationTech, involved in the sense of being one of the first subscribers
>> to their mailing list, and I even have had many chats inside their
>> #locationtech IRC channel, even answering questions from new LocationTech
>> community members (technical readers will find it interesting to join their
>> IRC channel now on freenode and see the first message that is displayed
>> when entering their channel "LocationTech: location aware open source
>> software friendly to commercialization.").  I have followed the development
>> of that organization right from the beginning, where they smartly filled a
>> void by aiming at the business/commercial side of Open Source geospatial
>> (of course, recently they publicly pointed out to me, even questioned my
>> sanity, that this was false, I am dreaming, that they have always focused
>> instead on the same goals as OSGeo, but readers, do a google search for LT
>> and press release, and you will see their early visions).  Which is why I
>> asked now to hear the vision of LocationTech (I was not answered, but
>> someone else pointed to an FAQ just made).  In any case, no I am not
>> insane, I have always followed LocationTech closely.
>>
>> I do travel to many OSGeo local chapters around the world, constantly,
>> and especially to developing areas that are just becoming interested in
>> Open Source.  In a few days I will again take 3 more planes and represent
>> OSGeo at a growing community, again putting life on hold, including my
>> health, my money, and my life in general, to go help grow the OSGeo
>> community.  In this event I can bet that I will speak personally to over
>> 100 developers, students, decision makers, and researchers; I bet I will
> [...]

Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545