[OSGeo-Discuss] New Semantic Mediawiki based OSGeo Member Map for the OSGeo Wiki

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 03:05:41 PST 2015

Thanks Christian,
I'm getting excited by what you are creating here.

I wasn't able to test entering data on the page. (I assume the wiki
hasn't been set up for that).

Are you able to enforce word count or character count limits for fields?
I think each field should have a character limit to ensure consistency
in the final product.

Is the user able to include wiki formatting? For instance, to create a
bullet list? If so, this should be encouraged, and mentioned.

Are you able to provide hints for each field? I'd suggest these should
be provided. Hints will make it easier for people entering the data, and
also for ensuring consistency and a quality finished product. For prior
hints, see:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=User:Template&action=edit

For the Coordinate, is it possible to use a "find yourself on a map" or
similar for people to determine their coordinates?

We should be careful about helping people protect their personal privacy.
Re address, I'd err on not collecting Street address, probably just City
and Country.
Is it possible to apply address validation to check for spelling errors?

I'd include a hint next to Email to encourage people to "corrupt" their
email text such that it not harvestable. Eg: cameron DOT shorter @ g m a
i l . com

Can you please add a field for JobTitle, and Company which can
optionally be filled out.

I like the introduction of "LocalChapter" (which should be optional).
Maybe this should be a pull down list?

I'm wary of adding a "Freetext" field. If we start from an aim of a
consise OSGeo Advocate list, then the FreeText probably shouldn't be
used. Are you anticipating using FreeText for another purpose? (Again,
having comments about what should go in the field would help).

Suggest term changes:

Coordinate => Coordinates
LocalChapter => Local Chapter
Languages => Language(s)
Info => Personal Description

Re OSGeo experience and roles. You seem to be missing: SolKatz.
Jody has picked up that we probably should have another role
"Committer", where a committer has greater trust and respect in the
community than a coder who just provides patches.

Warm regards, Cameron