[OSGeo-Discuss] Branding FOSS4G

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Tue Oct 13 05:18:56 PDT 2015

Slightly different topic: brand names are usually protected by trademark; I don’t see that FOSS4G is in the US trademark system:

	http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4801:p4nq75.1.1

Should it be? Could it be, or is there already too much non-OSGeo use? For that matter, I don’t see OSGeo there, either.

If brands aren’t protected, they could be used / co-opted by other organizations / corporations.

— Andy