[OSGeo-Discuss] Branding FOSS4G

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Wed Oct 14 02:20:33 PDT 2015

@board:

Maybe OSGeo should take action to protect it. It is not because OSGeo is
an open and inclusive organisation, where membership is free as all the
products, tools and libraries, that we shouldn't protect these valuable
assets.
It is better to protect and grant the use to other organisations, if
they subscribe the values OSGeo is promoting.

my 2c

Dirk

On 13-10-15 14:18, Andy Anderson wrote:
> Slightly different topic: brand names are usually protected by trademark; I don’t see that FOSS4G is in the US trademark system:
>
> 	http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4801:p4nq75.1.1
>
> Should it be? Could it be, or is there already too much non-OSGeo use? For that matter, I don’t see OSGeo there, either.
>
> If brands aren’t protected, they could be used / co-opted by other organizations / corporations.
>
> — Andy
>
> On Oct 13, 2015, at 4:07 AM, Dirk Frigne <dirk.frigne at geosparc.com> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> OSGeo is The organisation to support the collaborative development of
>> open source geospatial software, and promote its widespread use. [1]
>>
>> To promote its widespread use OSGeo started, amongst other things, to
>> organise a yearly conference. Today, there is the global conference, and
>> a lot of local conferences, almost every month, somewhere in the world.
>>
>> FOSS4G is the name of The OSGeo Conference.
>> FOSS4G is an *important* brand of OSGeo.
>> Local conferences have derived names like FOSS4G Europe, FOSS4G North
>> America, FOSS4G.be, FOSSGIS ...
>>
>> My 2c
>>
>> [1] http://www.osgeo.org/about

Yours sincerely,