[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo thoughts on discussion/collaboration platform hosting

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Oct 18 06:28:30 PDT 2015

On 18 October 2015 at 14:16, Michael Smith <michael.smith.erdc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Along the lines of code hosting, do we want to think about some kind of
> OSGeo hosted Slack-like service for the community / projects, eg
> MatterMost, RocketChat, etc?

Personally, IRC has served me well, but recently I started appreciating
communication channels like Gitter. I see, people may prefer chats like that.
By the way https://gitter.im/OSGeo.

For a GitHub-hosted project, I see how Gitter may be valuable for discussions
about issues, PRs, with easy linking to those artefacts, with archived logs,
but without polluting issues/PRs with too many comments.
Too much brainstorming in comments to issues/PRs may easily become
maintenance nightmare.

> I wanted to start this as a separate topic although a lot of these
> alternatives are based on git or gitlab so its a very related discussion.
>
> What would be useful to OSGeo projects?

Yes, I guess so.

Best regards,
--