[OSGeo-Discuss] [EXTERNAL] Re: OSGeo thoughts on discussion/collaboration platform hosting

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Sun Oct 18 06:27:45 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 01:17:18PM +0000, Smith, Michael ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH wrote:
> One problem that I have with IRC is being firewalled due to the ports.

That'd be easily solvable by having our own server running on port
80 of irc.osgeo.org.

> I also find the mobile clients for the Slack-like alternatives to be much
> better than any IRC mobile client I've found. And just a generally higher
> level of functionality while still allowing IRC clients (via some IRC
> gateway).

I find mobile devices to have such an horrible keyboard that I'd hate
to use them for chatting, anyway. In any case, listing what
functionality you're after would be a good start. Maybe draft a wiki
page about that ?

--strk;