[OSGeo-Discuss] Predictions about Open Geospatial in 2020

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 19:18:22 PDT 2015

There was a good academic foss4g13 talk exploring devices communicating
their location back into a visual console - I think we will need to take
that idea and run with it.

- IoT will not be a thing, instead things will be things (the internet will
be assumed)
- I did not mention location there, because location will already be assumed
- Security will still be a pain, but we will give up privacy rather than
fix it
- Giving up the privacy associated with location will actually mean giving
up real privacy (but we won't notice until a generation has grown up
without it)
- We have a tradition of spatial being special (things closer together are
likely correlated) the mix of this assumption with things
(internet+location) will result in "GIS" behaviours where the closeness
assumption no longer holds

--
Jody Garnett