[OSGeo-Discuss] code of conduct: another real case

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Fri Sep 18 01:32:34 PDT 2015

hm, if this is not a case of conduct violation, in this case in the name of
OSGeo and hence harming the reputation of the whole organization, then I cannot
see what else qualifies.
-Peter

On 2015-09-17 23:17, Camille Acey wrote:
> I am having a hard time seeing how this is a CoC matter.
> Camille
>
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> <mailto:jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Peter,
>
>     It may be early here at FOSS4G-Seoul, but I am finding it hard to
>     understand your full issue.  Can you please explain here to everyone what
>     you mean by "I found that OSGeo has claimed rasdaman at some
>     time in the past".  Claimed how/where/in what way?  As far as I know,
>     rasdaman is an OSGeo Project in Incubation, and, having been at the OSGeo
>     booth here most of this week I have spoken to many people coming to the
>     booth about rasdaman.  So, pardon me if I am in the total dark here, maybe
>     you could explain more to everyone, as I sense that you are upset.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     -jeff
>

>     On 2015-09-18 1:21 AM, Peter Baumann wrote:
>
>         Hello community,
>
>         here is another real case that I would like to raise.
>
>         rasdaman [0] is listed on OpenHub [1], like many of us, with owner
>         rasdaman GmbH
>         set originally. By coincidence I found that OSGeo has claimed rasdaman
>         at some
>         time in the past.
>
>         To my total surprise, as rasdaman is in incubation since about 5 years
>         now [2],
>         and since quite some time OSGeo refuses graduation requiring this and
>         that extra
>         documentation.
>
>         I find this undercover misappropriation a gross violation of
>         professional ethics
>         and request to immediately "give back" the project as a remedial
>         action. I could
>         do it myself, but recently OpenHub requires a phone number to be
>         entered to
>         which, as blog comments show, spam will get sent. IMO it is on OSGeo
>         to bring
>         this sacrifice.
>
>         Actually, I know who has "stolen ownership", but will not disclose
>         identity
>         publicly following suggested practice.
>
>         Rather, I am seeking contact to and investigation by the CoC Committee (or
>         whoever is in charge).
>
>         Thanks,
>         Peter
>
>         [0] http://www.rasdaman.org
>         [1] https://www.openhub.net/p/rasdaman
>         [2] http://rasdaman.org/wiki/OSGeo
>
>         PS: On the side, this IMHO justifies an amendment of the CoC rules to
>         prevent
>         such a case in future.

Dr. Peter Baumann
   mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
   www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)