[OSGeo-Discuss] Board election: no re-elections this year?

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 23 01:21:18 PDT 2015

Hi Gert-Jan, thanks for raising the question and will answer as an
exit board member.

On 23 September 2015 at 09:17, Gert-Jan van der Weijden
<gert-jan at osgeo.nl> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Preparing to cast my vote for the board election, I noticed that all 4
> (Jáchym, Bart, Gérald, Jorge) board members who reached the end of their
> 2-year term are not standing for re-election. (besides that: Anne decided
> not to stay for her 2nd year of her 1st term)
>
> Some questions arise:
> - Is the board membership such a demanding job that members always resign
> after 2 years?

Not a huge demanding job, I spend more time for the foundation in
other tasks, but it also depends on how much time you want to spend,
there's work for everyone :-)

In my case where I switched jobs this year time was an issue, yes.
Also the lack of energy and the feeling that others could do better
than me. I'm incredibly happy to see so good board candidates.

> - Is this a good thing, to make sure we dont'have board members who are tied
> to their seats?
> - Or is this a bad thing, with board members switching too fast to reach
> their goals?

If I had a clear goal unaccomplished and the energy to do it I'd apply
for re-election, anyway I'd had a hard time to get elected again with
such good candidates this year.

The way the Board is renovated assures projects and know how are well
passed along new members and nobody can be tied to their seat as long
as the community decides they are doing a good job and deserve it.

Finally, I've had a great time working at the Board, I've learned a
lot and enjoyed to team with the rest of the members, they all deserve
my biggest respect. I hope some day to get again the time, energy and
support to apply for the Board and serve this community at the most
committed level.

All the best
--
Jorge Sanz