[OSGeo-Discuss] Question(s) for board candidates

Michael Gerlek mpg at flaxen.com
Fri Sep 25 08:12:48 PDT 2015

Dirk:

Thanks for taking time to answer the questions. If I could follow-up, though, more details would be helpful. (I don’t mean to pick on you personally, I’m just trying to get a better feel for what sorts of specific ideas you and the other candidates might have.)

>> 2) What do you see as OSGeo’s purpose in five years?
> I think the same purpose, but more grown up. More professional.

What does “professional” mean in this context — better website, paid staff to organize FOSS4G, ..?

>> 2a) What should OSGeo be doing in five years that it *isn’t* doing today?
> I agree with Sanghee Shin: -> Need to develop more formal and stable
> relationship with outer organisations or players.

Which organizations and players, or at least what types — OSM, OGC, AGI, ..? What do you mean by “formal and stable”? (Are there cases in the past that can think of where we may have not met that criteria?)

>> 3) How do we get from (1) to (2)?
> set up and support local chapters per region, sector.
> support initiatives to the industry, education, ...
> looking for funding to get better professional support

How can OSGeo help better help set up and support local chapters? We have many chapters right now — formal and informal, large and small: in what areas do you see that we are currently not doing enough for them and/or could do more for them?

Can you provide a couple examples of the kinds of professional support you are thinking of — private donations, government grants, corporate sponsorship, ..? Do you envision having a paid staff to pursue those opportunities, or..?

-mpg