[OSGeo-Discuss] Questionnaire about Geoprocessing Algorithms

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Dec 19 09:10:49 PST 2016

> On Dec 17, 2016, at 8:33 AM, Eduardo Silverio da Silva <eduardosilverio1990 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Osgeo members,
>
> Here is Eduardo Silverio da Silva, from UFPR in Curitiba, Brazil. I am a master's student in Geodetic Sciences.
> I am contacting this community because I would like some help to answer and to share my questionnaire about geoprocessing algorithms/codes:
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.

Dear Eduardo,

No. While I understand the desire to get data for your program, these emails to nearly every OSGeo (please note spelling and capitalization) mailing list are excessive, poorly targeted, and in extremely poor taste. The people you probably wish to have submissions from are likely subscribed to multiple OSGeo mailing lists (I got 10 copies!), and like myself, are unwilling to support your effort on account of your rather lazy and poorly thought through spam.

OSGeo mailing lists are public goods, and your use in this fashion unfairly takes advantage of them in my opinion. If your link were to V1agrA pills instead of a survey, you would have been rightly banned, but the approach you've taken is no different.

The people on OSGeo mailing lists are not your research population. Please refrain spamming emails across our organization like you have done in the future.

Howard