[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo4W maintenance activities

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sun Feb 21 08:21:47 PST 2016

Hi Even,

On Sun, 21. Feb 2016 at 16:16:52 +0100, Even Rouault wrote:
> Perhaps for example for GDAL packaging, I could try to see if there's someone
> volunteering in the community to look after that one. Would be cool to have a
> gdal-dev packge for example. I guess there might be some optional drivers for
> which plugins aren't yet packages

Maybe. ECW, MrSid, FileGDB and Oracle that need extra dependencies are there.

> But looking at https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/, it is not clear where (if I
> were that volunteer) to start with. For example is there some VM with
> compilers pre-installed and build recipes of existing packages ?

No, there is none.  The packages are built on the individual packager's
machines.  I think Frank at some point started to set a public machine up - but
I'm not sure how far that got.

> I guess https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/PackagingInstructions could
> benefit from a step-by-step howto demonstrating howto create a new version.
> Hum actually I see that there are -src.tar.bz2 packages for GDAL at
> http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/gdal/, but I cannot find the
> equivalent for QGIS at http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86_64/release/qgis/

The QGIS packaging is in the qgis repository
(ms-windows/osgeo4w/package(-nightly).cmd) and the grass packaging in grass'
(mswindows/osgeo4w).

Most of my other packages have recipes in -src.tar.bz2.  Some that are not
actually built but repackaged from binaries from elsewhere might not have
recipes (I would have to check).

> I was wondering how the automated build of QGIS was managed. There must be a
> server somewhere that does the builds and uploads them ?

Sure.  That machine is in my office.  Martin also operates a machine somewhere
dealing with the GRASS nightlies.   Tamas also had nightlies of mapscript
(which I think have stopped for some time) - probably on the same server that
is building the gisinternals binaries.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31