[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Funding code Sprints

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sun Mar 6 06:18:37 PST 2016

Ian,
Yes, you are right. That sounds like a more constructive basis for engagement. It would be nice to see the history of 'sprint' success for reference. Even for sprints though, my thought is for a larger time-frame and more 'convenience-of-location,' so that the sprint is not limited to just those who can attend.

'Expanding' the sprint might be to define the specs and establish the award. This would get away from the 'sprint' mentality, which is not the best environment for substantial and quality coding.

It appears to me that even these more-substantial-than-hackathons sprints do not reflect the typical work environment for code development. I will suggest that requires more of the 'deep thought' Leonardo approach versus the more intuitive 'just start chiseling' of a Michelangelo.

Thanks much for your good words! Greatly appreciate the chance to talk about this.
-Patrick