[OSGeo-Discuss] how did the Paris code sprint go

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Tue Mar 8 05:37:07 PST 2016

Hi Oliver,
I can certainly see how meeting would help communities; as you say, that's how humans work. But what about the even bigger (global) community?

Looking at the participant list, that Paris code-sprint entailed at least 10 transatlantic flights and probably at least that many short-haul (pan-Europe) flights too (which have higher emissions profiles per passenger mile). I don't doubt a lot of useful work was done, but was the quantity and quality of the work so much superior to the normal-work-from-home/office option that it was worth the considerable extra pollution that the sprint generated?

This is obviously not something that can be easily quantified (although I'm sure a few PhD's are trying), but I believe it should be considered when these sorts of events are sponsored. Otherwise you can easily end up with a Tragedy of the Commons situation.
A quick search doesn't find any sort of ethical/green/social-responsibility policy on OSGeo's pages...

Cheers,
Jonathan

(p.s. excellent use of "anchorite" - I can't say I've seen that word before!)

---- On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 11:19:15 +0000 Oliver Courtin<olivier.courtin at oslandia.com> wrote ----

Le 8 mars 2016 à 09:34, Sandro Santilli a écrit :

Sandro,

> This is not to say that Paul work wasn't needed

Thanks for him ^^

And he -also- did a great job, with leading several devs
who never yet send code to PostGIS trunk (but really motivated to).

Kind of thing that can't really be done remotely.
Kind of thing we could hope lead to enlarge later PostGIS devs circle.

> Donating some fun to core developers is surely appreciated [..]
> but is just to stress out that it doesn't
> take being in the same room at the same time to move a project forward.

Obviously we tried to get some fun (in Paris). And hope we did.

But real point is to share time together with projects in mind.
Point is to strengthen, again, devs community.

Because beside code, there's humans.
And humans who truly need to cooperate.

And we know since the very first C tribe sprint in Toronto (thanks Paul),
that once a year spending few days together is valuable for our projects.

Because no, moving a project forward is not -only- a closing tickets stuff.

You didn't want to come Sandro, this time, for your own reasons,
and i'm fine with that, and respect it.
(even if you missed, at the very least on PostGIS talks).

But if anachoret way of life could be an answer for a single,
it's something that can hardly be for a community.
:)

> but I think reliable infrastructure to improve open collaboration
> is still the best investiment for a software foundation.

Why an OR ?
It have to be an AND.

O.