[OSGeo-Discuss] how did the Paris code sprint go

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Tue Mar 8 10:42:18 PST 2016

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 03:32:54PM +0000, Jody Garnett wrote:
> I second the idea of build boxes being very important to the well being of
> projects. I was not aware that OSGeo had been running one, or that it had
> been taken away.

It was set up by Mateusz, did run wonderfully and got later
discontinued during some sort of upgrade, I think.

He can surely add some more info. Chances are there's still a
configuration around, possibly even under revision control.

> I assume you have looked at solutions like Travis which are "free" to open
> source (in exchange for the advertising they get by being exposed to your
> developer and community).

We are already using both Travis and GitLab-ci, from hosted services,
plus our own instace of Jenkins (run by Robe). And doing our own
"waterfall" display manually, with trac wiki syntax:
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/

Nothing compared to the real BuildBot waterfall we used to have.

Right now we have nothing ready to offer to those users that would
like to donate some of their machines time to ensure PostGIS works
on their system. Who championed Jenkins did so mentioning it would
have been much easier to maintain than BuildBot, but that specific
service of plugging in new slaves was never brought up again.

> Boundless, CSIRO, and GeoSolutions provided build boxes for GeoServer
> (testing different integration functionality important to their business).
> They are invaluable to keeping quality up.

Hooked to Jenkins ? Or Travis ?

> Sandro we are setting up priorities for the foundation, I really encourage
> you to take part and submit a PostGIS build box as an idea. I know the real
> stop gap is volunteer time, I would hope such a useful idea would attract
> people.

I recall the OSGeo buildbot was not postgis-specific.
Mateusz did layout a flexible configuration serving multiple projects.

It's not the _slaves_ I'm after, but the _master_ configuration.
Slaves could be found in each of the project communities, I'd think.

--strk;