[OSGeo-Discuss] Does rasdaman CE solve an open source geospatial problem?

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Sat May 21 00:56:37 PDT 2016

Hm, first of all: this is opening a different thread, talking about
functionality of rasdaman community. Next, it is based on assumptions - without
details (because off topic): conclusions are wrong.

But to respond to the core message emphasized in the first paragraph: I
respectfully disagree. In particular, such a position does not benefit the open
source community very much as I am trying to explain below.

TL;DR:

You have a strong expertise in Geoinformatics, I know something about Computer
Science. This is where we can talk as professors and scientists. Your statement
is about economics, industry etc. Having an opinion there (and articulate it) is
fair, but in these fields our opinion weighs not more than anyone else's in the
street. We should not attempt to attain importance through inapplicable roles.

Let us look at a professor. They have a conveniently high salary which is paid
by society, that is: tax payers. Nobody can influence what a professor does and
how much return s/he generates for society.

A single open source developer (or a small group, whatever) do not experience
this convenience. They have a dream where they invest, they try to not make
money for getting richer than a professor ;-) but merely for their economic
survival. Some (in particular scientists) enjoy the money rain coming from
publicly funded projects (again: the tax payer subsidizes), but most in the
community have to struggle hard. They face reluctant customers, competition by
the giants in the market, and many more obstacles.

From the cosy place of a lifelong position with a secured salary and decent
retirement funds it is easy to say that all software should be free like free
beer (quote from below: "can be reproduced by other scientists without
prohibitive license costs").

If the open source movement cannibalizes itself it will make it all so easy for
the big players to maintain their dominance, they will silently applaud. Quoting
Jeroen:
> NEVER IGNORE COMPANIES AGAIN IN OSGEO OR FOSS4G! THEY ARE NOT A THREAT, THEY
ARE A NECESSITY.

That said: It is entirely ok to have the opinion you have. Others, though, may
disagree. I am one of those.

respectfully,
Peter