[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Geospatial Science - Vision 2030

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon May 30 03:12:04 PDT 2016

Dear colleagues,

It is nearly a decade since the initial ideas for Open Geospatial Science was started . Initially it was very difficult as some ( even some my GIS colleagues at Nottingham took some time to understand the ideas but once they learned the impact they strongly supported us and helped us ) did not fully understand this in the beginning but thanks to the hardwork of our colleagues globally , we have now got strong support from all. Research centers/groups within a single university keep changing/merging etc and are transient but research disciplines and ideas will have longer impact. Hence from the start our aim was to create Open Geospatial Science as a discipline. But we had to take this one step at a time to make this possible.I am very grateful for the support we got from all our colleagues globally.

Open Geospatial Science builds upon the idea of Open science that scientific knowledge of all kinds are able to be develop more rapidly and in a more productive manner if openly shared (as early as is practical in the discovery process). The key ingredients to make Open Geospatial Science possible is Open Principles (open source geospatial software, open data, open standards , open educational resources and open access to research publications) .“Geo for All” was initially started by scientists and research active academics to build strong foundations for Open Geospatial Science . We also wanted to create openness in Geo Education for developing creative and open minds in students which is critical for building open innovation and contributes to building up Open Knowledge for the benefit of the whole society and for our future generations [1].

Thanks to our colleagues globally, we now have dedicated research labs through Geo4All globally , dedicated journals etc [2],[3] in place to help advance the discipline for the future. It is this global research outlook that is fundamental to the success of any new discipline.

It is now time for us to think and plan actions for the future and it is important that we bring together ideas/inputs from the wider community and harness the wisdom to help shape our vision for Open Geospatial Science for 2030 and builds synergies with the three goals for EU research and innovation policy: Open Innovation, Open Science and Open to the World [4],[5].

This open consultation on the Vision 2030 for Open Geospatial Science will be a process and i would like to make use of the opportunity of the Urban BigGeoData and OpenCitySmart Think Tank on 8th June 2016 [6] at the University of Nottingham to start this. In true spirit of Open Science, we will make available a wikipage in Geo4All with the initial ideas generated after the Think Tank and welcome the community for inputs .Together we all can shape the research agenda for Open Geospatial Science for the future and help build more ideas to enable the creation of a sustainable innovation ecosystem for advancing the discipline and accelerating new discoveries to help solve global cross disciplinary societal challenges from climate change mitigation to sustainable cities.

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr. Suchith Anand
http://www.geoforall.org/

Geo for All - Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science

[1] http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/04/open-geospatial-science-2/
[2] http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijgi/special_issues/science-applications
[3] http://opengeospatialdata.springeropen.com/about/editorial-board
[4] http://ec.europa.eu/research/openvision/index.cfm