[OSGeo-Discuss] Campaign statement for Massimiliano Cannata

Massimiliano Cannata massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
Tue Sep 27 03:28:06 PDT 2016

*About me*
=========
Thanks to the type of projects I have carried out I used to consider myself
academic with a private company perspective. I am Professor in Geomatics
and head of the Geomatic Division, which is one of the established
ICA-OSGo-labs, at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern
Switzerland (SUPSI).
- http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Massimiliano_Cannata
- https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Massimiliano_Cannata
- https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimiliano-cannata-45a04617

*Vision*
=========
#family, #team, #equity, #inclusiveness, #rules, #transparency

This six keywords tell a lot about my vision of OSGeo and of the world.
I see OSGeo as a big family who's members work in team to achieve and share
success and prosperity. I also see OSGeo open to everyone and ready to
discuss with everyone given that respect and rules are followed.

*What you have done within the community in the past*
#istSOS #GRASS #ZOO-project #board #UnitedNation #Geoscience #GFOSS.it

I have participated in the foundation mainly at project level since the
beginning of OSGeo, after Bangkok as a GRASS PSC members, then as
ZOO-project PSC members, then chairing the istSOS project. I am (co)chair
of the United Nation committee and of the Open Geoscience Committee. I was
board members for the last two years. At local level I'm a founding member
of the italian local chapter GFOSS, i was official liaison officer for
several year and member of the Italian OSGeo local chapter board. Over the
last decade I have been a regular presenter, workshop lecturer, code
sprints  and organizer of academic sessions in numerous international and
regional FOSS4G conferences and events.

*What your interests are in terms of the board*
======================================
#serve_community #education #conference_fees #individuals

I have server the board in the last two years and i believe i got a good
understanding of the geo-system, i want now to fruitfully use this
experience to better serve the community.
What Can you expect from me?
To take the role seriously, to critically review each motion and rise any
type of concern i see motivating each single -1 . All this in an honest and
direct way without any influence or negative intention, but with open heart
to innovation and discussion. Education, conference fees, continental
chapters are some of the things to be carefully followed.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate#Massimiliano_Cannata
*Any things that you would like to change or introduce*
#participation #committes_governance #balance #committees_budget

I would like to foster charter members participation, but i recognise it is
not easy. I have pushed, with other board members, the definition of a
strategy and I believe it's time now to determine an action plan for
achieving objectives. Working in Switzerland has led me to appreciate
rules, which are at the base of the common respect and equity. Not many,
not complex but enough to motivate clear decisions. Moreover I wish we have
clear governance in all our groups and I will strive to bring more clarity:
I will ask for project open governance and written rules that we don't have
for several committees, I think we should work on these aspects, equally
distributing the efforts with all the groups and members of OSGeo, because
we are not a business company, we are a foundation of people with the
objective of pushing high quality FOSS4G software to the world.

*What role you would wish to fulfil on the board (if any)*
#board_member :-)

I don't want to be in the board passively or for exhibitionism, every
decision, every discussion has its own weight and have to be fully weighed
because no decision can be made lightly. Putting a +1 vote or -1 must be
argued. I will rise my voice to defend publicly my foundation. This is the
role of the board in my opinion, all the other roles and action are done in
the clothes of a charter members contributing.

And as in Bangkok was said may the foss be with you [1].

Maxi

[1] http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/slogan.html

--
*Massimiliano Cannata*