[OSGeo-Discuss] Detect and define the coordinate system of gis data with no projection information automatically

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Sep 2 00:50:35 PDT 2016

Foks,

I read through the emails of this thread and I'm still not sure to understand
what the exact focus would be. It seems it might go beyond the title of this
email thread.

Is it about documentation about projections ? If so, I guess improving proj.4
documentation could be appreciated. There has been a new commit just last
night ( http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/proj/2016-September/007480.html )
to add the chart of each projection :
http://proj4.org/projections/index.html . There are only images extracted from
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/OF90-284.pdf for now but that would be great
to extend them with formulas, etc...

Is it about having a catalog of spatial reference systems (and all related
information: projections, projection parameters, ellipsoids, datums, prime
meridians, area of use, transformations, etc...) ? Then there are different
projects already tackling that. For example GDAL starts with the EPSG catalog
+ some algorithms to detect one of the many datum shifts to WGS84 (this part
is controversial and could/should be improved), and that is the source from
which the proj.4 'espg' catalog (the whole process is documented at
https://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/geotiff/trunk/libgeotiff/csv/README). This process
is a bit cumbersome and we had some discussions last year about perhaps
adopting a SQLite3 database instead (see thread starting at
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/metacrs/2015-August/000846.html) : this
hasn't made progress yet.
GDAL has also a few extra catalogs from (somewhat old) ESRI definitions, and
other vendors. There are also catalogs for SRS of other planets :
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6623 (interestingly Peter Baumann
mentionned that the EPSG service might host this catalog in the future)
A tricky part about all this catalogs is the intellectual property behind as
there are often not completely "free" in the meaning we generally give to that
term for software (redistribution is OK, but most often modifying definitions
is not allowed). But beyond that, as raised by Carl Reed, adding new spatial
reference system definitions, or editing existing ones, is something that needs
some form of validation at some point (unless you decide that anyone can
modify anything, but that opens the door to voluntary or unvoluntary mess). It
is similar to when someone submits a patch/pull request for code: someone
needs to make a decision if it is appropriate or not.

You've also identified spatialreference.org (now somewhat abandonned due to
lack of volunteer) or epsg.io as online catalogs. I see also
https://github.com/ebrelsford/projestions#api that has been mentionned.
Perhaps one or several of them of those could be used as the base to build
something new above ?

Probably that the MetaCRS list could be a more appropriate and focused place
to hold such further discussions ?

Unrelated: I read a few confusions in this thread with "OSGeo members" vs
"OSGeo charter members". Quickly summarizing http://www.osgeo.org/membership:
anyone can declare himself as a OSGeo member by registering himself on
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount . OSGeo charter members are
members who are elected, for the only additional purpose of electing the OSGeo
boards. There are also OSGeo participants who are anyone that takes part to
OSGeo related activities. Projects are generally open to contributions from
anyone, with some kernel/PSC (not necessarily made of charter members) taking
the main decisions.

Best regards,

Even

http://www.spatialys.com