[OSGeo-Discuss] Branding & Marketing Project is *kicked off*!

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 08:38:08 PDT 2017

We are looking for input over the entire project - it is not clear to me
what stages the local chapters will specifically care about. I imagine
there will be some ideas/discussion on how to present local chapters so
that new users can find a group near/applicable to them - and it would feel
silly to have that discussion without at least one rep from local chapters
in the mix.

I have never had a chance to work with an active local chapter, they are
not such a thing in north america (we tend to work through preexisting
"meetups" and try and do our outreach where the gis professionals already
are).

--
Jody Garnett

On 7 April 2017 at 04:49, Gert-Jan van der Weijden (OSGeo.nl) <
gert-jan at osgeo.nl> wrote:

> [...]
>>> vendor Get Interactive [2].
>>>
>>> The minutes from our kickoff meeting yesterday can be found here
>>> [3],
>>> and more background information, including the documents that
>>> describe
>>> the scope of the project can be found here [1]
>>>
>>> In summary, this project will produce 3 sets of output; 1) An
>>> updated
>>> set of branding for our organization and its sub-brands which will
>>> be
>>> delivered as a standard online organizational brand style guide. 2)
>>> new website theme and foundational content which will be heavily
>>> oriented toward on-boarding new users and guiding them toward an
>>> appropriate set of software for their needs. The new website will
>>> provide a home for sub-brands (OSGeo-live, GeoForAll, Local Chapters
>>> etc) that wish to use the overall theme and structure 3) A set of
>>> digital templates and collateral for print marketing materials that
>>> will be able to be customized and used by local chapters and
>>> GeoForAll
>>> labs or for general outreach. The gory details for each of these
>>> components can be found in the EOI document [4].
>>>
>>> We will be working with SAC on standing up the new site and
>>> distributing these materials and our goal is to have the new site
>>> live
>>> before FOSS4G in Boston and to be ready to onboard content
>>> contributors (YOU!!).
>>>
>>> We have a representative from SAC (Harrison Grundy) who has joined
>>> our
>>> project team and are specifically looking for someone to join from
>>> the
>>> GeoForAll initiative as well as someone to represent the interests
>>> of
>>> the local chapters projects. We really invite *anyone* from the
>>> community to help us manage this project, so if you are available to
>>> fill these roles, please join the marketing list and speak up!
>>>
>>> Our committee will be providing regular updates to this list
>>> approximately once a month and there will be ample opportunity for
>>> you
>>> to provide feedback as we move through the process. Please speak
>>> up!,
>>> but lets all work very hard to be constructive and look toward the
>>> larger goal of presenting OSGeo, our projects and initiatives
>>> professionally, clearly and most of all in a way that is easily
>>> accessible to the large number of GIS users out there who may not
>>> yet
>>> be familiar with open source and are looking to us as their Open
>>> Source Compass.
>>>
>>> Happy to answer any questions about the process or deliverables here
>>> or on the marketing list. We are extremely excited to finally be
>>> able
>>> to update our brand and external facing presence. We look forward to
>>> your input and participation!
>>>
>>> Jeffrey Johnson (on behalf of the Marketing Committee)

>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/marketing/2017-April/003471.html
>>> [11]