[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal for the listing of projects in our new web site

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 04:14:02 PDT 2017

Dear friends,

There has been a vivid discussion so far and I would like us to maintain a
positive perspective of things. I fully understand that our community is
diverse and that is a result/part of our success. We should all be
respectful of each other and avoid fingerpointing and questioning
contributions by our charter members.

I would like to propose a way forward:

1. We should *only* promote projects that are somehow affiliated with OSGeo
(as other Free and Open Source organizations do eg. Apache, Eclipse)
2. All the projects that are currently listed in our beta web site have
shown interest to be included (thanks to Jeffrey Johnson and Jody Garnett
for hunting them down) and that is a very good thing, since we do want to
be everyone's Open Source Compass. I very much like the idea of "Choose a
Project" http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/choose-a-project/ Given point (1),
all those projects are welcome to become OSGeo Community Projects, so we
can keep listing them to our new site.
3. Lets make sure that our Graduated Projects and Projects in Incubation
are listed first, with Community Projects following in the "Projects" page
(we have already asked the web site vendor for a filter to be activated by
default in that page).
4. Lets define low-entry rules for Community Projects (perhaps current
rules are too low? Lets discuss....)

Current list of rules for Community Projects:
"If your project would like to join OSGeo the technology initiative asks:

 * That your project is geospatial (or directly supports geospatial
applications);
        Data & doc projects would of course need an appropriate data or
documentation                 license
 * That your project is open source
        Uses an OSI approved open source license
        That you know where your source code came from, and that care is
taken when accepting external contributions
  *  Participatory (accepts pull-requests)
"

A proposal for *new* rules:
* Has to have an OSI or FSF approved license and be found on the web in a
public place.
* Has to be a geospatial project or useful for working with geospatial data
or services. Data and documentation projects would of course need an
appropriate data or documentation license
* Has to be useful on its own with normal data, and NOT require another
license to really use it
* Has to be open for contributions and have instructions on how to
contribute

The project should need to officially apply for being included as OSGeo
Community Project, by answering a questionnaire (including information
gathering for the web site and provide a point of contact for maintaining
that information in the future)

Best regards,
Angelos

--