[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposal for the listing of projects in our new web site

Jeffrey Johnson ortelius at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 17:09:10 PDT 2017

Hi All,

I think we are talking about several different issues here. Let me try
to summarize.

1) JeffM is suggesting that we should *not* ask Service Providers what
size they are in terms of number of employees to avoid 'alienating'
them. I'm not sure I see how any would be alienated, but I dont think
this piece of data is all that important anyway. I think we originally
conceived of it to be able to separate out individual consultants and
small companies from larger ones. I know in my experience when looking
for a service provider, often I am specifically looking for small ones
or individual consultants because Im not interested in dealing with
big organizations. In any case, this service provider section should
be open to any and all organizations (from one person consultancies to
large organizations) that want to provide services for hire on OSGeo
or other open source geospatial projects. Its not that important to
*me* that we collect what size they are, but it may be useful to
others to know what size they are when looking for help.

2) JeffM is proposing we ask for the organization *type* here instead
of size and be inclusive of other types of organizations than just
companies. Im all for being as inclusive as we can, but this section
of the site was specifically intended as a place where one could find
organizations or individual consultants *for hire* to work on/with the
projects. As Jody mentions, there are lots of NGOs and government orgs
who would like to be listed somewhere on our site, but are NOT looking
for work. The converse is also true, there are lots of NGOs and and
perhaps even government agencies who are willing to do work for hire
and would like to be listed here as a service provider.

3) as mentioned in 2) it would be nice to have a place on our site to
list organizations that are NOT looking for work, nor are a GeoForAll
Lab, nor (yet) a sponsor or a partner (with a formal MOU). Perhaps
they are important contributors to a project and would like to be
listed somewhere. CSIRO comes to mind as an example. I think we DO
need to think of perhaps a new content type to capture these and
classify them appropriately and let them link to the projects they
contribute to, resources they may have created etc. Perhaps just an
'Organizations' section that is much like the 'Service Providers' and
GeoForAll labs, but is listed separately under Community, I can think
of a lot of organizations who would be interested to be listed here.

Hoping we can all agree on what we are talking about here and find a
solution. I really want to find a place for *every* member of our
community big or small to show off their work and make sure its linked
to other content types (projects, resources, news etc) appropriately.
This is of course a bit hard because we have such a diverse group of
stakeholders, but Im confident we can work through it.

Jachym, just making sure you are happy with how OpenGeoLabs is currently listed?

Kurt Menke if you are on this list, I intended to move Birds Eye GIS
from being listed as a GeoForAll Lab to being a Service Provider and
realize I got interrupted in the middle of doing it on Saturday and
now its simply deleted. Ill reach out to you personally to make sure
you get re-added in the right place.

Also, I realize
http://osgeo.getinteractive.nl/geo-for-all-labs/attivarti-org/ is
another example of an organization that probably belongs in a new
section as described in 3)

Jeff