[OSGeo-Discuss] list of open source software for spatial risk modeling (prediction)

Shawn Dolley shawn at predict-align-prevent.org
Sun Aug 27 11:40:44 PDT 2017

Dear All,
I am wondering if there is or how I would compile a list of all the open
source tools (or even non open source I guess) that could perform
spatio-temporal risk modeling/risk terrain modeling/prediction. (I am not a
data scientist so I am not familiar with the terms).

The ones I know of are
a) Risk Terrain Modeling from Rutgers, not really open source but you can
put in a bunch of location-based factors/characteristics and historical
data and it can predict things on a map.

b) I have heard ESRI Spatial Analysis Toolkit can do this:
http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/spatial-
analyst/an-overview-of-the-spatial-analyst-toolbox.htm Also not open source

c) Maybe SatScan? Seems open source, but not sure it has the machine
learning/predictive modeling piece.
https://www.satscan.org/

I am working on a project to see what open source options there are for
people trying to do prediction such as is shown here:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0145213416301922 .

The work we are doing is related to predicting the non-person based, but
location-based characteristics that might predict locations where child
abuse or neglect is high, and I would love anyone who is interested in that
cause who might want to help us! We lack free/volunteer data science
expertise. (please don't respond if you have a commercial interest, we are
committed to completely open source and can't afford to hire a data
scientist to answer the questions above, sorry).

Thanks
Shawn

Shawn Dolley
Board of Directors