[OSGeo-Discuss] list of open source software for spatial risk modeling (prediction)

Silvia Franceschi silvia.franceschi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 07:30:01 PDT 2017

Dear Shawn,
the project you presented seems to be very interesting and helpful for all.
I had a quick look at the article you linked and, even if I didn't
investigated in deep which kind of processing tools you will need to do, I
can add to your list the Free and Open Source tools that are integrated in
the gvSIG desktop GIS (www.gvSIG.org):
- the JGrassTools library, which have tools for the analysis of vector and
raster data (http://moovida.github.io/jgrasstools/ -
https://blog.gvsig.org/2017/03/02/on-the-road-to-gvsig-2-4-jgrasstools-and-geopaparazzi-plugins-for-gvsig-desktop/
)
- the Geoprocessing toolbox of gvSIG itself (
http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/web/en/build/html/user_manual/2.3/manual/040.html)
which contains a lot of additional analysis tools especially on vector data.

If you have more specific questions or if you have/nee to find geospatial
data to analyse and have an idea on which kind of analysis you would do,
feel free to contact me in private and I will be very happy to help you for
this research.

Best regards

Silvia

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Shawn Dolley <
shawn at predict-align-prevent.org> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I am wondering if there is or how I would compile a list of all the open
> source tools (or even non open source I guess) that could perform
> spatio-temporal risk modeling/risk terrain modeling/prediction. (I am not a
> data scientist so I am not familiar with the terms).
>
> The ones I know of are
> a) Risk Terrain Modeling from Rutgers, not really open source but you can
> put in a bunch of location-based factors/characteristics and historical
> data and it can predict things on a map.
>
> b) I have heard ESRI Spatial Analysis Toolkit can do this:
> http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/spatial-anal
> yst/an-overview-of-the-spatial-analyst-toolbox.htm Also not open source
>
> c) Maybe SatScan? Seems open source, but not sure it has the machine
> learning/predictive modeling piece.
> https://www.satscan.org/
>
> I am working on a project to see what open source options there are for
> people trying to do prediction such as is shown here:
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0145213416301922 .
>
> The work we are doing is related to predicting the non-person based, but
> location-based characteristics that might predict locations where child
> abuse or neglect is high, and I would love anyone who is interested in that
> cause who might want to help us! We lack free/volunteer data science
> expertise. (please don't respond if you have a commercial interest, we are
> committed to completely open source and can't afford to hire a data
> scientist to answer the questions above, sorry).
>
> Thanks
> Shawn
>
> Shawn Dolley
> Board of Directors