[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] OSGeo is the host of FOSS4G not a guest

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 12:04:50 PDT 2017

Maxi are you concerned about the impression being listed on the sponsors
page provides? The board has never approved a "gold sponsorship", it looks
like this was something negotiated on the conference-dev list as part of
accepting the proposal.

With respect to OSGeo taking financial risk, and being host of the the
event. I like how it is handled for .foss4g-na.org - "An event by OSGeo"
would be appropriate.

Personally: this is a tricky one because of how we setup foss4g a little
bit at arms length, accepting bids from local organizing committees that
have gathered to gather to run the event. I do not mind OSGeo being listed
as a sponsor, if we choose to sponsor the event in order to have booth
space. I would love if we paid for that up front in order to not put the
LOC out financially. In this sense I do feel that FOSS4G is a collaboration
between OSGeo (taking financial risk) and LOC (doing the work, and taking a
risk putting time into the application process). Since the LOC provide the
feet on the ground I do sometimes feel that OSGeo is a guest at these
events, especially when the AGM is hard to schedule.

--
Jody Garnett

On 2 July 2017 at 01:22, Massimiliano Cannata <massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch