[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo is the host of FOSS4G not a guest

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 05:29:16 PDT 2017

I have to disagree here, to me it is clear that OSGeo is presenting
("owns") the conference while by listing the contributions the OSGeo
provides (seed money etc) formally on the Sponsors' page/list it makes it
clear just how much money (and time) the OSGeo is putting it into the
event.

By formally listing as a sponsor it probably makes it easier to handle
things like remembering to allocate booth space, passes etc as it is
already on the spreadsheet when those tasks are carried out.

Ian

On 2 July 2017 at 09:22, Massimiliano Cannata <massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch
> wrote:

> Dear community and board members,
> Today I found out that OSGeo is a a SPONSOR of the FOSS4G-2017 Boston
> conference.
>
> This is disappointing me !
>
> At least for two reasons:
>
> 1- foss4g is the OSGeo's conference, so OSGeo is the host not a guest
> (have you ever seen AGU sponsoring it's annual event?)
>
> 2- OSGeo is already providing seed and risk exposure money so it shouldn't
> need to pay for get exposure or being listed in the sponsor page.
>
> So, as an OSGeo charter member, I formally ask the board to remove OSGeo
> from the sponsor list !
>
> Regards
> Maxi

Ian Turton