[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] OSGeo is the host of FOSS4G not a guest

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Jul 3 08:04:46 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Marc VLOEMANS <marcvloemans1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Let's keep the momentum, the mojo, the vibe and focus on the future!

Thanks Marc,

As an OSGeo Charter Member, a co-leader of GeoForAll, and OSGeo's education
efforts, and someone in Massachusetts (but not really active with the
BLOC), I couldn't help but say that I am seeing first-hand the efforts of
the Boston LOC. FOSS4G 2017 Boston is going to be GREAT and the BLOC has
been working like crazy to pull off a really terrific conference.

Turning to Marc's point of focusing on the future and his references to
FOSS4G-NA-2018 and FOSS4G-2018...

I also wanted to let the community know about infrastructure we've built
for FOSS4G 2017 that can be used by future FOSS4G conferences. I (along
with two terrific and hardworking people -- Mohammed Zia and Andy Anderson)
have been managing the FOSS4G 2017 Boston Academic Track and the
peer-review review process for the papers and posters as we build the
conference proceedings. We've set up a proceedings review and publishing
system based on BePress Scholarworks that is paid for under my university's
subscription (thanks to all reviewers!). It will cost OSGeo and future
FOSS4G conference organizers nothing, and it has a very nice paper review
system (like EasyChair, but again, no cost). Once the proceedings are
published, the open access papers' metadata will be fed into many library
databases for easy discovery. The proceedings will be stored at [1] but we
will also create a full pdf version that will be published on the OSGeo
Journal [2]. The OSgeo banner on [1] will be replaced with any new branding
that might be coming. (I've kept Venka and Helena informed on this
activity.)

The key point about the future:

If anyone who will be at FOSS4G Boston will be part of an organizing team
for future FOSS4G regional or global conferences, *please contact me* so I
can show the backend of the conference review and publishing system. It's a
great resource that is now available for any future FOSS4G conference, at
no cost.

Cheers,

Charlie Schweik

[1] http://scholarworks.umass.edu/foss4g/