[OSGeo-Discuss] Terms and definitions: Free and Open Source Software (for Geospatial)

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed Mar 29 03:33:37 PDT 2017

Folks,

every now and then terms used in discussions get a bit fuzzy resulting
in misunderstandings. We need to be very clear in our wording to avoid
this.

There are two terms describing the open and free approach:

  * Open Source (mostly a development model)
  * Free Software (mostly a licensing model)

We carry this definition in the name of our main conference FOSS4G. I
actually like the symbology of the legally protecting license models
(Free Software) wrapping around the open development model (Open Source).

There is exactly and only one term which differentiates to the above, it
is:

  * Proprietary software (mostly a licensing and business model).

Everything else is confusing and inexact. Especially problematic is the
term

  * "Commercial Software" (which I therefore only use in quotes, if ever).

It is not well defined [1]. Any software that is used in a commercial
context is "commercial". This can be Open Source, Free Software and
proprietary software. So "Commercial Software" does not really mean
anything at all. Therefore we recommend to not use the term "Commercial
Software" and to be very picky and investigative whenever hearing or
reading the term. Most people just use it out of an old habit and
without much thought.

The FAQ of our foundation wrap this up nicely - and I remember well that
it took dozens of mails and edits to finally get there:
http://www.osgeo.org/faq#Open_Source

And just to make sure that we build on the positive side and not to the
detriment of others, it there says:

The foundation respects the important role that proprietary software
plays in our industry, and is not trying to get rid of it, or the
companies that produce it. However, the foundation takes the position
that free and open source software can and should play an important role
in the geospatial industry. Furthermore, having quality open source
alternatives to proprietary software can be good for the end user, the
industry, and even the proprietary software vendors. In fact, most
proprietary geospatial software is built on open source software to some
extent.

Enjoy the day,
Seven

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_software