[OSGeo-Discuss] The Rise of Open Street Map as a World Mapping Agency

Peter Mooney petermooney78 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 03:24:54 PST 2017

Hello everyone, Hello Suchith,

The idea of OpenStreetMap (OSM) as a World Mapping Agency is very exciting.
In many ways it is already happening. Through the OSM API, Geofabrik,
Mapzen, etc etc I can easily access high quality, up-to-date geographic for
any region, city or country in the world. Or indeed the whole world! I
could never have imagined this being possible when I first encountered
geographical data as an undergraduate, many years ago.

It is the right time for discussion of this topic. However, the danger, as
alluded to precisely by Till and Benoît, is not including all relevant
parties in this important and exciting discussion. There are many voices,
many inputs.

For example take OSGeo: OSGeo software powers many OSM services, it
provides people like myself with the tools required to access OSM data, to
work with the data, to analyse/manage/visualise, etc etc.

Also consider the most valuable components of OSM as a World Mapping Agency
- the OSM contributors! How do they use OSGeo software? How do they use
other FOSS4G? What are their opinions on OSM current and future?

Consider the academic research community - how are they using OSM? What
benefits can they bring to OSM as a World Mapping Agency?

And many others...

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the Barcelona meeting, at such short
notice.

But I am eager to be involved in this discussion and subsequent actions
arising from it.