[OSGeo-Discuss] (no subject)

Luí­s Moreira de Sousa luis.de.sousa at protonmail.ch
Wed Mar 29 05:38:59 PDT 2017

Dear all,

In my experience maintenance and operational costs are far higher with proprietary software than with open source. With some licenced products operational costs are actually the largest slice of the budget. But well, that is only the experience of a single individual.

However, in these matters we should always apply a macroscopic view. It is far more rational to hire a local company to maintain and develop a particular open source solution, than to send barge-loads of money overseas on licence fees. Open source can be employed as a powerful economic policy tool, directing investment and job creation to where they are most needed.

Cheers.
--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Im Grund 6