[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Oct 13 08:18:30 PDT 2017

Thank you Cameron for kind words.   I am sure there are questions, and I
am here to answer them for you.

As a long-time volunteer for OSGeo, I have always tried to represent the
foundation and its community every step of the way.  During my term as
President of OSGeo, we were really tackling the subject of the
LocationTech-OSGeo relationship, and it became a very public discussion.
I worked very hard to represent OSGeo, but sometimes my words may have
been too strong towards Andrea Ross, and that could be my biggest fault.
  When a letter was posted online criticizing me, and then shared to me
during a Board meeting, this absolutely broke me.  I don't recommend
anyone goes through that, seeing online words written about you, it was
quite a feeling.

I was doing so much for OSGeo, making sure to give each issue or
challenge time and effort, listening, and then talking, always publicly,
that I obviously made many mistakes.  This can happen when you are so
open, trying to make sure all of the community is informed.  At the
time, when that happened, I felt that I was no longer doing the job
(note that it is a job, fulltime, unpaid yes, but it is definitely a
job, make no mistake) of the OSGeo President and I resigned immediately.

I have learned a lot since then, and for several years I worked on
low-level OSGeo tasks, again helping wherever needed. But meeting Marc
and Thea at FOSS4G-Boston and talking face to face gave me so much
confidence, in the whole community - I am sure that both Thea and Marc
felt the same way after our talk.  It was just so needed, and only the
start of what I predict will become something magical.

You have many more emails and questions examining my career, which I
will tackle in the next response.

Thank you for your words, more shortly,

-jeff