[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: Board nomination: Jeff McKenna

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Oct 13 09:01:59 PDT 2017

Thanks for your words Cameron, I will do my best to address your
concerns here now.

In a sense it is good that you bring up all this history, as it gives me
a chance to clarify what actually happened.

In 2011 I had been doing so much for FOSS4G for so long, all those
non-glorious tasks that helped build what FOSS4G is today, that I knew
that we were approaching a critical point where we were asking too much
of volunteers to make the next FOSS4G event happen.

Fellow leaders Venka, GĂ©rald, and I had boots on the ground in China in
2010 I believe, and we really pushed for FOSS4G-China to happen, but we
all knew the effort involved, demanding more of a face-to-face approach,
than past event planning.  With my many hats (chair of conference
committee, then on every single local committee of FOSS4G, and Board
member) I knew that for FOSS4G-2012 Beijing to happen we must invest
boots-on-the-ground help, and be sure to guide the event to completion.
Bringing FOSS4G to China was very important to me.

So what then happened would become one of my proudest moments in OSGeo:
I very publicly proposed a partially funded "FOSS4G Advisor" role to
mentor the Beijing team, and work closely from start to finish, back in
2011, to do all of the little things.  The document lists so many
important little tasks, but the last section says it the best:

  - propose role/position to OSGeo Board
  - once approved, introduce new role to FOSS4G 2012 local committee
  - do the work!

It was what I knew (and having created the FOSS4G conference committee,
been on every local committee until then, only I knew this) had to
happen, and right away.

Unfortunately the proposal was never approved by the OSGeo Board, and
this devastated me, as I knew this was what was needed to make the event
a success.  I would later resign from the OSGeo Board over that.

Fast forward a year, and the event never happened.  It was exactly what
I warned.  To this day I feel such a role is needed for FOSS4G.  Here is
my original document, note that tasks, costs, effort, everything is in
the open and visible, for a future FOSS4G team to use:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Advisor_Role

(I would learn later that the German FOSSGIS organizers hired someone
for that exact role, doing the little things each event to make sure
consistency and a smooth transition happens)

I hope this explains what happened Cameron.   Regarding so many people
contacting you about concerns of me, please let them know that I am here
to talk, if they feel the need to voice concerns.

Thank you for your message Cameron, I'll address your next email
examining my career in a response shortly.

-jeff