[OSGeo-Discuss] Ideas for a future OSGeo Board

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 18:54:23 PDT 2017

I think Cameron described the reasoning, not wanting to disrupt
relationships. Cameron is probably in an awkward position, as if often the
case when people reach out privately, where he stuck determining if people
are asking him to speak for them or they simply want someone to listen.

OSGeo is an open and friendly community and we strive to have our
communication and decision making in a transparent manner (the same
standards we hold our project steering committees to during incubation).

Nevertheless we have a number of private channels of communication in our
organization, for example during charter member nominations there was an
opportunity to contact the CRO privately if anyone was troubled by a
nomination. During incubation we make a mentor available for private
communication, as often there are legal questions to discuss. The projects
have a private list for security vulnerabilities. The board also has a
private email list which is useful for negotiating partner relationships.

With respect to the board elections I really appreciate Gert-Jan's approach
of asking candidates questions, it was illuminating, explored some
important issues and gave everyone a chance to respond.

--
Jody Garnett