[OSGeo-Discuss] [Projects] [OSGeo-Live] Moving to Transifex - step 2 - Battle testing

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Oct 24 03:38:26 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 07:38:00AM +0200, Nicolas Roelandt wrote:

> Transifex will hugely simplify and improve the sustainability of our
> translation experience (over our previous manual spreadsheet / git / .rst
> process).
>
> It offers machine translation.
> It provides a review process.
> It shows us what is changed in the English doc version.
> It shows translation progress

Sorry to mention as I understand it took a long time to set this up,
but I'd add an additional point, that since 2013:

  - It is proprietary software

>From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transifex:

>> Transifex itself was originally an open source project, but the
>> development of an open source version of the software was discontinued
>> in 2013. [3][4]

More info:
https://github.com/transifex/transifex/issues/206#issuecomment-15243207

A possible alternative owuld be Weblate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weblate (GPLv3+)
The developers offer hosting plans (including gratis for free software):
https://weblate.org/en/hosting/

--strk;