[OSGeo-Discuss] Elections 2017 from the CRO point of view

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Mon Oct 30 09:57:18 PDT 2017

Dear Tom,

I understand the way you are feeling and I know that are reasons for
that. I remember that I had some hard time when I did wrote that part of
my email. However, this was reported my many persons and I had to
include this in my message. Anyway, I don't think that a single old
OSGeo charter member will consider the new comers as lite members. The
quality of the new members is proven by the important number of
seconding messages and by the fact that no veto was raised. In the early
years of OSGeo, the membership process was a very selective one and this
was also a subject of criticism. I can understand why moving from one
extreme to another can cause such reactions. Personally I'm very in
favor of an inclusive system but one with an voting mechanism. This is
something for the community and the board to decide. The actual system
is also a big burden to the CRO (hundreds of emails and wiki edits) and
also a stress for our mailing list.

I can only speculate why they did not used our mailing list to express
their opinion. Most of them are old OSGeo members and I think they did
not want to sound like they are contesting the membership process
(already started) or that they contest the already nominated persons.
Not a single one contested the persons that were nominated and I'm 100%
sure that was a genuine care not to dilute the importance of our
membership position. Also, most of the messages were not sent to CRO
email but over IRC/Google Hangouts and some during face to face
meetings, just before the elections, at FOSS4G in Boston.

I will conclude by reiterating again that all the critics were on the
membership process and not a single one about the new members. Of
course, those critics should not be expressed now, just before, during
or after the nomination process, but immediately after the board decided
to change the membership process. The board decided to make the change
during the face to face meeting in Bonn in 2016 [1]. At that time, the
board did a poor job in communicating this change to the community.
Actually only those members that are manually checking the meetings wiki
pages or the OSGeo Loomio instance were aware of the change. I was also
a board member at that time and I would like to apologize for not
communicating better.

Best,
Vasile

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-8-04