[OSGeo-Discuss] Elections 2017 from the CRO point of view

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 10:31:36 PDT 2017

I think the correct link is this one -
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2016-8-24#OSGeo_charter_member_election_procedure
.

But I agree, although this issue was discussed across several meetings
(notably the issues and stratagy discussed here
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Face_to_Face_Meeting_2016) the end result
was not communicated to our membership and came as a surprise for the 2017
elections.

I like the new procedure, although I am sorry it is more work for the CRO.
I am surprised at the perception that it is more inclusive - I believe it
is a little less inclusive then the prior procedure (since a single -1 vote
can now cause a candidate review). Both systems do not have an adequate way
to ask for more information, or discuss a nomination, without it being
viewed as a personal criticism. There are a couple of ideas (template for
nominations, encouraged asking questions) but it will be a careful balance.

--
Jody Garnett