[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: Charter Member nomination: Aleda Freeman

Kristin Bott bottk at reed.edu
Fri Sep 8 09:58:28 PDT 2017

Hi, all --

I was asked to back up my second-ing of Aleda's nomination with a bit more
information, so. Doing that -- although I believe that Sara's testimonial
is more than sufficient to attest to Aledas *"support and promot[ion] of
the use of free and open source geospatial software..." * and references
her contributions to the use of FOSS in geospatial work. (list of "Positive
attributes
<https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process#Positive_Attributes>",
below)

As a member of the 2017 FOSS4G (B)LOC, Aleda has most certainly* "put in
time and effort on the Foundation... volunteering in some ... way that gets
the Foundation going" * and in doing so has demonstrated her dedication to
the goals of OSGeo and her ability to work as part of a collaborative,
hardworking team. Within the context of FOSS4G 2017, I think Aleda did a
commendable job coordinating events, people, and logistics; given how
active she has been in the open source geospatial community leading up to
the conference, I believe that Aleda is very likely to continue in her work
in support of open source geospatial efforts.

On promoting diversity: I don't believe that the list of Charter Members is
representative of the user community of OSGeo projects; I believe we're
skewed on a couple of demographic axes. One of those is gender. Let's work
on that.

If I can provide additional information / opinions, let know -- happy to do
so.

cheers -
-k.bott

*Recommended membership selection criteria include:*

   - *Members should believe in the general goals of the Foundation. To
   support and promote the use of free and open source geospatial software,
   education and data in a collaborative manner.*
   - *Previous participation in or support of OSGeo activities*
   - *The person should already have made a contribution to free and open
   source geospatial software, education or open data.*
   - *The person should be willing to put in time and effort on the
   Foundation, perhaps joining committee(s), or volunteering in some other way
   that gets the Foundation going.*
   - *Members should be prepared to work constructively and positively
   towards the goals of the Foundation. Good teamwork skills are an asset.*

*Membership nominations should strive to promote diversity:*

   - *Nominate members representing a diversity of geographic regions,
   diversity of projects, diversity of programming languages.*
   - *Nominate members representing and diversity of interests (e.g.,
   corporate, hobbyist, educational, scientific).*
   - *Nominate members representing a diversity of humanity including
   gender and race *