[OSGeo-Discuss] [Marketing] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 05:44:17 PDT 2017

Thanks for the discussion on the bug report. Please keep in mind that this
website is written by us, but it is not intended for us - it is intended
for the vast majority of the GIS industry that has honestly not heard about
open source yet.

These sections are optional, if one of our open source projects has a
particular target market in mind filling in this information would really
help! Indeed when I go to a normal GIS conference this is the top question
- since I have not had a chance to use the proprietary software it is not
one I can easily answer.

In the above bug report I would like to change the heading from "Similar
Proprietary Products" to "Migrate From", but perhaps that is too
confrontational? I would also like to avoid advertising proprietary
software, linking to the associated wikipedia entry if appropriate.

I am not interested in reciprocity, I am interested in OSGeo projects
taking competition to the GIS industry which as been missing.