[OSGeo-Discuss] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 00:54:46 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik at web.de> wrote:
> Moreover I wonder that no one react on my main sentence:
>
> "I'm pretty much convinced that more effort to help our OSGeo projects
> improving on every level (e.g. documentation, reach out, testing, etc) is
> the key rather than linking to proprietary software. One of such
> opportunities may be the upcoming Google Code In (GCI) 2017 e.g. to produce
> nice screenshots for documentation, produce some fancy videos etc. based on
> tiny little tasks for students aged 13 to 17. A good invest in the young who
> will be our OSGeo's future."

I didn't react to that because I see this conclusion as obviously good
as you see it :) I am not sure if that is the intended purpose of this
type of programs (shouldn't they code?) but for sure, showcases videos
and tutorials are very nice for promoting the software.

In fact, publishing blog posts comparing closed and FLOSS is also very
helpful. If you are doubting what kind of software to use, a good
comparison with table feature comparisons is very handy But that
should be outside the project page, because we are not begging for
users. We are strong projects on our own, we don't need to keep
continuously comparing to the closed alternatives for users to know
what we do.