[OSGeo-Discuss] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Thu Sep 21 04:02:29 PDT 2017

On 21/09/17 19:54, María Arias de Reyna wrote:
> In fact, publishing blog posts comparing closed and FLOSS is also very
> helpful. If you are doubting what kind of software to use, a good
> comparison with table feature comparisons is very handy But that
> should be outside the project page, because we are not begging for
> users. We are strong projects on our own, we don't need to keep
> continuously comparing to the closed alternatives for users to know
> what we do.

Uplifting tweet of the week:

"Jon Kuperman‏ @jkup
Stop treating open source like a product you purchased and start
treating it like a team you belong to."
https://twitter.com/jkup/status/909887066103676928

Referring to proprietary GIS on the OSGeo website risks misleading users
that OSGeo projects are just competing products. We offer something that
proprietary GIS never can: the opportunity to join a community of peers.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>
Director