[OSGeo-Discuss] Proprietary GIS on our OSGeo website

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Sep 21 11:33:46 PDT 2017

> On 09/21/2017 06:45 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
>
> I think "Switch2osm" is a very good example how to help migrating to
> non-proprietary tools: https://switch2osm.org/
> I quickly went through their site and as far as I could see, competitor
> names only appear in case studies.

What about names and links to providers:
https://switch2osm.org/providers/

Are they all pure open source or some are open core or
perhaps some just offer SaaS based on completely closed software.
Perhaps they are just buzzwording [1] and perhaps they are not, who knows?
Can I trust them about what their SaaS actually runs?
The fact that a company has hundreds of repos on GitHub does not make
it a pure FOSS company.

I've been part of OSGeo since its early post-birth times and
I've never seen a single person here in the Community having slightest problems
with listing (and linking) proprietary vendors as users, contributors, sponsors.

Mind you (all), Google, ESRI etc. are sponsors of OSGeo major event, the FOSS4G.

Mind you (all), tons of OSGeo LOCs was/is funded with monies streamed
from proprietary vendors.
Let's update the next release installer of PostGIS and label such
non-kosher features like PostGIS Raster to allow FOSS-purist skip
them.

The whole thread feels like an internal scramble for external witch hunt.

[1] http://blog.kathyreid.id.au/2010/07/19/open-source-in-name-only/

Best regards,